MHLL Job Advertisement
Job Description - Little League Baseball Ground Maintenance Director
About Little League
Little League is committed to providing a fun safe sporting environment for children of our community with world class diamonds and friendly welcome environment. All children are welcome, all abilities coached.
This position reports to the Board and involves split shifts including early starts, and late evening work depending on the time of year, weather and tournaments.
The role carries out short and long term activities including but not limited to:
- Moving of equipment, general upkeep of diamonds, mowing,
- Daily field checks to ensure high quality fields of play
- On call problem solving for teams
- Scheduled and planned maintenance of fields in conjunction with the City of Medicine Hat (Joint User Agreement) and the School Districts, as well as Little League equipment.
- Tournament preparation, attendance and support
- Long term view to improving fields and grounds
- Care and maintenance of equipment within budget
- Any other duties as required
The individual will typically work between March 15 and August 31.
Occasionally this role may assist Big League due to high demand.
Position purpose - essential functions
Enhance and maintain a safe and quality playing environment for players, both today and for the future.
General Supervision and Responsibility
- Ensure maintenance of and prepare the fields, via dragging, watering, line painting, batter box chalking, setting bases etc. to ensure that fields are ready to play
- Operate a variety of mowers to maintain fields; inspect tractor and mower for safe and proper operation; maintain equipment as needed, replacing fuel, fluids, and oil.
- Mow, edge, trim and rake fields; operate riding mowers, push mowers, light duty vehicles, blowers, sweepers, trimmers, edger, and weed eaters
- Utilize independent judgment in performing grounds maintenance activities.
- Ensure the safety, cleanliness and security of the grounds in conjunction with the City of Medicine Hat and School Districts
- Provide strategic planning for future success of Little League by making recommendations to the Board for improvements to sites and forward planning for Championships and events
- Build relationships with key stakeholders such as the City of Medicine Hat and School Districts to ensure continued access to sites
- Preventative maintenance of all fields and equipment
- Provide guidance to the Board on all matters pertaining to the fields
- Work collaboratively with parent volunteers to ensure safe and well kept playing surfaces and grounds
- Administration, reporting and documentation relating to the role
- Attendance at Board meetings as required
Safety and security
- Expected to conduct all aspects of role in compliance with Occupational Health and Safety standards and regulations
- Follow policies and practices including HR and health and safety policies.
- Meet your employee obligations under the health and safety legislation and make health and safety a part of your daily routine.
- Mitigating risk relating to financial disbursements
- Petty cash reconciliation
- Supervising the use of Little League funds
- Supervise up to 5 Little League maintenance staff by directing them to most efficient functions
- Ensuring the team has planned job duties, clear direction and delegation of tasks
- Review of work to ensure it meets the necessary standards expected, providing feedback to junior staff
- Ambassador for Little League in the community
- Other duties as assigned by the Board
Required skills and abilities
- Knowledge of baseball
- Passionate about baseball and creating a welcoming environment to players and families
- Police criminal check
- Class 5 licence and drivers abstract
- Basic grounds maintenance procedures and asset
- Dedicated to improving the fields
- Mechanical ability (small hand tools, minor repairs and maintenance of equipment such as tractors/quads/mowers
- Time management and planning ahead
- Respectful delegation and coaching of junior staff
- Computer literacy e.g. Outlook, Word, Excel
- Demonstrate a spirit of improvement and cooperation.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Diplomacy and tact
- Strong work ethic to complete tasks
- Ability to make decisions based on fast changing environments (e.g. weather, repairs, call outs)
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Operate a flat deck truck and trailer
- Knowledge of truck and trailing techniques (load balancing, movement of equipment)
This role may be considered moderately physical and may include extensive walking, pushing, pulling climbing, reaching, occasional work at heights, lifting up to 50lbs, bending, crouching.
The role is working outside in varying weather conditions.
Including but not limited to:
Small tractor, mowers, rakes, quads, shovels, bags of chalk weighing up to 50lb, truck, trailer, small hand tools
Email your application to: email@example.com