Medicine Hat Little League (MHLL) & Medicine Hat Adaptive Sport and Recreation (MHASR)
Volunteer Challenger Baseball Co-Coach Position
Under the guidance of MHLL & MHASR perform coach duties for the Challenger baseball program for children with disabilities. The position would work in partnership with coaches from MHASR to help run the Challenger Baseball program.
Challenger Baseball is a free program that provides an opportunity for children with cognitive or physical disabilities to enjoy the full benefits of participation in baseball at a level structured to their abilities.
Challenger Baseball Co-Coach
Location and Dates:
Challenger Baseball runs at Lion’s Park Ball Diamonds and occurs on Saturdays from 12:00pm-1: 00 pm in the months of May and June.
• Take turns with co-coaches bringing equipment (gloves/helmets/bats) along with first aid kit and player emergency contact information
• Welcome MHLL “buddies” who help challenger players to the field and explain to them how to assist Challenger players (MHASR will support you in this until you become comfortable)
• Welcome challenger players as they arrive and match them with a volunteer/”buddies” to practice catching before the game starts
• Once everyone arrives, co-coach is responsible for calling in all players and directing teams to either the outfield or dugout
• Assign “buddies” or main volunteers for lead positions each game such as pitcher, bat catcher, and team managers (i.e., helping you to manage batting order and field placement)
• After 2 -3 innings (or 1 hour) co-coach will bring players in to do a cheer and shake hands
• Collect all Challenger baseball equipment and bring home with you for next week
• MHASR would be responsible for parent communication through email along with creating the emergency contact information sheets for the coaches to bring to practices/games.
Reports to and takes direction from the MHASR Program Coordinator and MHLL Board
• Strong interest and commitment to individuals with disabilities
• Caring, friendly and patient attitude
• Basic understanding of the game of baseball
• Ability to work with fellow coaches and volunteers
• Sensitivity to the needs of the players
• Willingness to learn about different adaptations and supports for athletes with disabilities
• Available to meet time requirements
• Must be 18 years of age or older
• A criminal record check will be required
The Challenger Baseball Co-Coach position would be committed to Saturdays from 11:30am-12:15 pm for the months of May and June 2019. Co-coach would work in collaboration with other coaches to ensure that at least 1 lead coach is present at each Saturday time slot to support the volunteers and players.
For more information or to apply, please contact:
Medicine Hat Adaptive Sport and Recreation